Monday, August 24, 2015

The Diverticular Disease Diet

The Diverticular Disease Diet

Some simple changes  like adding fiber to your diet  can help protect you from diverticular disease.
Diverticular disease describes two common diseases of the colon, diverticulosis and diverticulitis.
When small pouches form in the colon wall, the condition is called diverticulosis. The pouches, called diverticula, can become inflamed; when this happens, the condition name is diverticulitis. Diverticulitis can be dangerous if left untreated, causing bleeding, blockages, tears, and infection.

Diet and Diverticular Disease: Is Low Fiber the Cause?
“Diet probably has a role in the development of diverticular disease,” says Osama Alaradi, MD, a gastroenterologist and senior staff physician at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Mich. Researchers have noticed that a low-fiber diet in particular seems to play a huge role.
“Countries where they continue to eat high fiber still have lower incidence of disease,” Dr. Alaradi explains. Diverticulosis and diverticulitis are less common in Africa and Asia, and most common in Western nations like the United States, where incidence reaches as high as 40 percent of people over age 60, Alaradi says.
In the United States, diverticular disease was less common at the beginning of the 19th century and has been steadily increasing since the 1960s. “Less exercise, more fast food, and less fiber. The lifestyle has changed,” Alaradi explains. “It’s much less common in vegetarians.” Vegetarian diets tend to be higher in fiber than non-vegetarian diets.

Diet and Diverticular Disease: Is High Fiber the Solution?
“High-fiber and low-fat diets are protective against diverticular disease,” Alaradi says. “It’s probable that the high fiber is more important than the low fat.” This may be related to the role of fiber in preventing constipation, which is not only uncomfortable, but also increases the pressure inside your colon, which may put you at risk for diverticular disease.
“You develop raised colonic pressure,” Alaradi says. “If you have to strain to have a bowel movement, the pressure is higher.” This pressure can cause the weak spots in your colon to bulge out, forming the diverticula.
“When we talk about the role of diet in management, we mean either to prevent more episodes or to minimize the recurrence,” Alaradi says. “There is some evidence to suggest that a long-term fiber supplement reduces recurrence.”
There’s no time like the present to increase your fiber intake. Start slowly when adding fiber to give your body time to adjust. Vegetables and fruits are good sources of fiber to start with. Then increase fiber through whole grains and vegetable proteins, like beans and legumes. Talk to your doctor or ask for a referral to a registered dietitian if you need help finding sources of fiber that you like.

Diet and Diverticular Disease: The Truth About Nuts and Corn
Many people with diverticular disease decide to avoid nuts, corn, and popcorn after their diagnosis, mistakenly believing them to cause irritation to the diverticula. “There is no evidence for this practice, but it’s a widespread belief among patients, and even among physicians,” Alaradi says.
A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association followed more than 47,000 men over a period of 18 years and found no evidence that nuts and corn complicate diverticular disease. In fact, these high-fiber foods are a much better snack choice than a bag of chips, which have little fiber and no nutritional value.

In general, the more mindful you are of what you eat, the lower your chances of developing diverticular disease. Choosing healthy food on a regular basis is simply best for your body in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of
    HIV disease by a Doctor called Dr. voodoo . I was browsing the Internet
    searching for remedy on HIV and I saw a comment of people talking about how
    Doctor voodoo cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the
    Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of
    been cured of HIV so I decided to contact him with his email that was
    listed on the comment voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com when I contacted
    him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and
    it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem,
    my HIV result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. voodoo God will give
    you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere
    and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any
    problem Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com
    or Add him up on WhatsAp +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete